Student tickets will not be set aside for Big East tournament in New York City

The Notre Dame men's basketball team, which has rode the passionate support of student fans to a 36-game home winning streak that started in 2006, can expect continued fan support throughout the Big East and NCAA Tournaments, said Josh Berlo, assistant athletic director for the Ticket Office.

Fans are able to acquire postseason tickets through the University, Berlo said. He did not say how many tickets will be available through the Ticket Office.

Unlike ticket distribution for some away football games, there will be no Big East tournament tickets set aside specifically for students.

Students who are interested in acquiring tickets for the Big East tournament, which will be held March 12 through March 15 at Madison Square Garden in New York City, are encouraged to contact the Ticket Office directly, Berlo said.

"Students are a top priority for any athletic event, including postseason men's basketball games," he said.

Student interest in the Big East tournament has been markedly low in past years, Berlo said last March.

While ticket information for the 12-team Big East tournament is available, NCAA ticket information will not be available until after March 16, when the Irish will know when and where their first, and possibly second, round games will be held.

"Details regarding the cost, quantity, availability and on-sale date are entirely dependent on the NCAA host site and will not be available until after the tournament field is determined," Berlo said.

Berlo said the Ticket Office and the Offices of Student Affairs work together to determine NCAA ticket availability for students.

"Historically, tickets have been made available to students if at all possible," he said.

The distance to the game site and the chances of missing class to attend are generally factored into decisions about whether some tickets will be allocated expressly to students or if general tickets will be promoted to student buyers.

Council of Representative members requested a ticket lottery for the fall football game at Boston College last semester and were met with opposition from the University because it was s aid a two-day weekend wasn't enough time to make the trip to Boston and not miss class.

Berlo said, however, that student fans are considered important to the success of the teams.

"Whenever possible, the men's basketball team and Athletic Department want our student body cheering on and supporting their classmates on the court," he said.