Men's Basketball: Pair of ballers named to Big East first team

Notre Dame sophomore forward Luke Harangody and junior guard Kyle McAlarney were voted to the All-Big East first team Monday by the league's head coaches.

This is the third straight year that the Irish have had at least one player on the all-conference first team. In 2006, guard Chris Quinn was honored while guards Colin Falls and Russell Carter both had a spot last season.

Harangody led the conference in both scoring and rebounding during the regular season, averaging 23.3 points, including a career-high 40 against Louisville Feb. 28, and 11.3 rebounds per game.

"To be on the first team is a huge honor," Harangody said. "You kinda think who you're among right there and it's a good class to be in."

McAlarney averaged 15.0 points per game and led the Big East with 62 3-pointers made. He scored over 30 points on three different occasions.

"I'm pretty surprised, I'm shocked that I made it," McAlarney said. "There are so many good players in this league."

Harangody was named to the Big East All-Rookie team last season. This honor is the first season-long conference honor that McAlarney has received.

In addition to the Irish players, Cincinnati's Deonta Vaughn, Georgetown's Roy Hibbert, Louisville's David Padgett, Pittsburgh's Sam Young, South Florida's Kentrell Gransberry, Seton Hall's Brian Laing, West Virginia's Joe Alexander and Connecticut's A.J. Price and Jeff Adrien also made the list.