Don't criticize me or I just might cry

I love Notre Dame. I love walking around campus and being able to reflect what is going on in the world. Sometimes it makes me cry. So it is with lots of thoughts and experiences in class that I sit here and try to tell everyone what I think is a going on.

There is a major problem with the student body here. It is the problem of ignorance mixed with close-mindedness. A person who is ignorant does not need to remain so. It is the problem of those who refuse to recognize that there is the possibility of different views in the world. That people have multiple explanations for what is going on in the world.

You don't need to change your views, but be open to the possibility that there are different views. I urge the student body to do research on both sides of all issues that you believe in. On both sides of issues that are most close to your heart. I want to believe in the goodness of people. I believe that people love.

It is hurtful to be told in class that I am a hypocrite. Yet, it is important to take someone calling you a hypocrite to look at why they would say that to you and others in your class. The problem for some people who will go and say you are being hypocritical is that they take bits and pieces of what you say and ignore the rest. This is why I want to tell the student body to look at the whole picture. Look at what you can do for the world. It is our responsibility to go out and do something.

There was recently a film series and conference on genocide. From this I could not help but feel pain for what is going on. Speaking with my roommates, I realize we are on the path to do something for the world. We all have that opportunity, especially here at Notre Dame. We must take those opportunities and take them. Do the research and love life, all of life. Be open to what is out there in the world. Stop being ignorant and stop the close-mindedness present when you ignore what you hear in classes. And most importantly remember that you are loved, no matter what.

Christina Shakour

junior

Welsh Family Hall

April 22