Track and Field: Irish gearing up to play in two big meets

Just two weeks shy of the Big East Outdoor championships, Notre Dame will compete at both the Central Collegiate championships and at the Mount SAC Relays.

The Irish will send eight of their top runners to the prestigious Mount SAC relays in Walnut, Calif. There, they will compete against some of the toughest competition in the nation.

During last weekend's meets, the Irish had success from their middle distance runners.

Freshmen Natalie Johnson and Kelly Langhans had a wonderful meet last week competing at the Mississippi Invitational taking first and second, respectively, in the 800-meter race. Sophomore Lindsey Ferguson also ran well taking first place in the 3000-steeplechase.

Notre Dame will send the field athletes and the rest of the runners to the Central Collegiate championships in West Lafayette, Ind.

Last week, the Irish also had great results in the field events.

Junior Anna Weber led the Irish in the throws events posting a landslide first-place finish in the shot put and a second-place finish in the hammer throw.

Behind Freshmen Jessica Sullivan and Jasmine Williams, the Irish took second in the pole vault and fourth in the long jump.

Each of these three-day meets will prove grueling for the athletes, but they will need every chance they get to improve before the Big East championship and to qualify for the NCAA meet in May.

Notre Dame prepares once again to get some qualifying marks for the upcoming Big East Outdoor Championship meet during the weekend of May 3 and 4. The team again will be split between to meets to get the best possible competition for their event. Some of the team members will be heading to the Mount SAC Relays in Walnut, California while others will head for the Central Collegiate Championships in West Lafayette, Indiana.

Freshman thrower Greg Davis will be participating in the Central Collegiate Championship meet. He has been working on his technique this past week and is optimistic about the results this weekend.

"My technique is getting closer to where I would like it to be," he said. "I feel that if Icontinue to work on my technique in practice I will be able to let loose and just go after some throws in the meet."

The Irish can expect some good competition at Mount SAC.

"Mount SAC is an awesome meet and there is always great competition," senior Austin Wechter said.

The next meet after this weekend for the Irish will be the Drake Relays at Des Moines, Iowa and the Hillsdale Relays at Hillsdale, Mich.