Men's Tennis: Sophs play in Bloomington

Notre Dame sent four players to the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Summer Championships in Bloomington.

Sophomore Tyler Davis, Stephen Havens, Matthew Johnson, and Dan Stahl all competed in both singles and doubles.

"The results in the ITA National Summer Championships are encouraging," Irish coach Bobby Bayliss said. "Dan Stahl, Stephen Havens, Tyler Davis, and Matt Johnson all represented Notre Dame well down there. The bond in this year's sophomore class is something that can carry us through the tough times."

Play opened on Aug. 11 and included two rounds of singles play.

Davis and Havens each earned a spot in the second round with a bye, while Stahl and Johnson both escaped their first round matches easily.

In the second round of play both Davis and Havens came away with 6-2, 6-2 victories.

Davis defeated Memphis's Jordan Smith for his win, and Havens defeated Indiana's Stephen Volg.

Derek Stephens knocked Johnson out of the tournament after Johnson lost the first set 6-2 and was forced to retire in the second set.

"Each of our guys had good wins," Bayliss said. "Stephen [Havens] did well to reach the semifinals, not to mention good doubles results."

In the third round Davis, Havens and Stahl all advanced.

Davis earned a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Brett Powers of St. Edwards. Havens earned a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Mark Oljaka of South Florida. Stahl nabbed a 6-2, 6-2 win over Matt Hansen of Northern Illinois.

The strong play continued in the fourth round with Davis earning a victory over Chris Peek of Indiana University and Havens beating Jon Tragardh of LSU. Stahl also earned a spot in the quarterfinals by defeating Malcolm Jonson of Johnson Community College.

Davis and Havens met in the quarterfinals with Havens coming out on top of a tight three-set match and advancing to the semifinals. Stahl lost to Sanam Sing of Virginia, who went on to beat Havens in the semifinal match.

Davis and Stahl also competed together in the doubles draw and Havens and Johnson entered as a team as well.

Havens and Johnson overcame a tough Iowa team in three sets in the second round but fell in the third round.

Davis and Stahl fell to a Memphis team in the second round.

The Irish are looking to continue their dominance this fall when the team returns without former No. 1 Sheeva Parbhu.