Authorities arrest 34 during first home game

Police made 34 arrests on campus this weekend and ejected nine people from the stadium for alchohol-related violations, said Dave Chapman, the assistant director of the Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP).

NDSP, working with Indiana State Excise Police, St. Joseph County Police and South Bend Police, issued 28 tickets to adults in the parking lot of the stadium for alcohol related offenses, such as providing a minor with alcohol. One person was cited near the stadium for possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Eleven custodial arrests were made for alcohol related offenses including public intoxication and disorderly conduct; those arrested were transported to the St. Joseph County Jail according to an e-mail received from Chapman on Monday.

Twenty-two people were arrested inside the Stadium on Saturday, most for public intoxication, and those arrested were also transported to the county jail.

In addition to the arrests, two people had to be transported to a local hospital due to intoxication.

After the game, a local man was arrested for assaulting an SDSU fan, and a woman was arrested near Main Circle for public intoxication and possession of marijuana.

Chapman urged those attending Notre Dame football games to "please contact NDSP at 574-631-5555 or by using a call box in one of the parking areas if you see unruly or unlawful behavior."

"Don't let alcohol get in the way of your safety or fun or keep you from enjoying a great football game next Saturday when the Irish take on the Wolverines of Michigan," he said.

He warned students to "be responsible for your conduct" and said that "underage drinkers will be arrested on campus and at tailgate parties."