Belles finish fourth in conference

The Belles standout junior Megan McClowry led Saint Mary's to their second straight fourth place finish at the MIAA Championships on Saturday.

As McClowry has done all season, she led the Belles with a time of 23:55 - good enough for 13th place.

"The difference for me this season is due to summer training," McClowry said following a 12th place finish at the Manchester Invitational last month. "I was able to come in with a good base and then my teammates have helped push the pace at workouts this season."

Sophomore Clare McVey was the next runner across the finish line for the Belles finishing in 34th place with a time of 24:34.

The Belles ended the season in fourth place overall in the conference as well as the race. Those standings are a combination of the MIAA Jamboree finishes and the Conference Championships. The Jamboree was held at home on Sept. 26. The Belles finished in fifth place, but were only 12 points behind the third place team.

"After finishing 12 points out of third place at the Jamboree, the team has really seen its potential," head coach Jackie Bauters said. "Since the Jamboree we've been able to compete and beat out the third and fourth place teams from conference and that's what we're hoping to do: Get competitive and make the small adjustments to come out on top."

Freshman Joanne Almond and sophomore Catie Salyer finished within one second of each other in 36th and 37th places with times of 24:44 and 24:45, respectively.

Senior Caitlin Brodmerkel rounded out the scoring runners for the Belles finishing in 40th place with a time of 24:46.

The Fort Wayne native spent her summer in Uganda and did much of her offseason training on that country's dirt roads outside a rural village.

Freshman Arianne Rodriguez finished in 53th place with a time of 25:12. Fellow freshman Hanna Vicary finished in 61st place with a time of 25:23.

Bauters has been pleasantly surprised by the freshman's performance this season.

"I think if this is their first year, then we're in for great things over the next four years," Bauters said. "They are still adjusting to the longer race and getting used to a different arena - different teams, etc. I am excited for all of them, and just want them to be confident and go get what they've worked so hard for-no need to be intimidated about leading because they are first years - go get it."

No one from the Saint Mary's team qualified to run in the regional competition so this race ends the season.