BREAKING NEWS: Sources say Weis staying

Charlie Weis will remain the head football coach next season, a source close to the administration told the Observer Tuesday.

WSBT, WNDU and FOX Sports also quoted unnamed sources "close to the football team" as saying that Weis had been informed of the decision to keep him as the coach and told to continue recruiting. Associate athletic director John Heisler said Tuesday night that the University had nothing official to say.

Neither Swarbrick nor Weis said anything official as of last night. Swarbrick said Saturday he and Weis would likely meet next Monday, when both he and Weis were back on campus.

Weis has a 28-21 record in four seasons as the Irish head coach. He took the team to two BCS bowls in his first two seasons, then lost a school-record 15 games in the next two. He is 4-10 against ranked opponents and his teams have lost to USC by a combined 76-3 in the past two seasons. A close call against Navy and a final-minute loss to Syracuse at home frustrated many fans

His recruiting, however, remains impressive despite the records. Scout.com ranked the 2006 recruiting class as No. 5 in the country, 2007 as No. 11 and 2008 as No. 2. Two five-star recruits from the class of 2009, running back Cierre Wood and offensive guard Chris Watt, have both given Notre Dame verbal commitments.

Weis is in the third year of a 10-year contract that he signed midway through his first season.