CLC passes Transfer-O resolution

The Campus Life Council unanimously passed its second resolution of the year Monday, calling for Student Affairs to play an active role in Transfer Orientation.

Meg MacCaughey, chair of the Task Force on New Student Introduction to Notre Dame, said the resolution seeks to encourage greater involvement of Student Affairs in the orientation. Currently, the Office of Admissions organizes the program.

"We feel that it has a great academic focus," MacCaughey said of the current format, "but not as much the student life portion of it ... and that's what we're really trying to target."

The resolution asks Fr. Mark Poorman, the vice president of Student Affairs, to consider creating a review committee to see how Transfer Orientation might better integrate the resources of his office, including the Office of Residence Life and Student Activities.

Council members questioned whether the task force wanted to change the format to be more like Frosh-O. Some transfer students have expressed concerns that the program would be too much like Frosh-O, which they feel wasn't appropriate for transfers who already have college experience.

"We're trying to not necessarily have a freshman orientation for them," MacCaughey said. "Having said that, there are definitely aspects of freshman orientation that could be brought into transfer orientation."

MacCaughey said things like getting to know your rector and dorm better were examples of what they would like to see.

Council member Sr. Sue Dunn, assistant vice president for Student Affairs, said that the resolution is "offered in the spirit of utilizing the rich resources - including people - that we have." The various departments within Student Affairs could contribute greatly to the orientation, she said.

"We've created a resolution that we hope will enhance the lives of transfer students," MacCaughey said.

Student Body President Bob Reish said that he would create a cover letter and submit the resolution to Poorman this week.

In other CLC news:

u Nicole O'Connor, the student government parliamentarian and chair of the Task Force on Student Safety said her task force has spoken with the Office of the University Architect about concerns about safety and lighting near Ryan Hall, the newest women's dorm on campus. She said administrators were aware of concerns.

u O'Connor said meetings are ongoing regarding creation of the off-campus Web site. The content is being finalized in the coming weeks, and student government - in conjunction with the Office of Student Affairs - hopes to launch the site in February.

u Student body vice president Grant Schmidt, chair of the Task Force on Technology and Study Spaces in Dorms, said his task force will continue to investigate the increased use of Google Calendars throughout campus next semester. The group is also investigating the use of study spaces across campus, with the help of the Office of Student Affairs.