Observer chooses top editors

Bill Brink, Aaron Steiner and Kara King have been chosen to help oversee The Observer's editorial operations in 2009-10, incoming Editor-in-Chief Jenn Metz announced Thursday.

Brink will assume the position of managing editor, the No. 2 spot at the paper, while Steiner and King will serve as assistant managing editors.

A junior majoring in history with a minor in journalism, ethics and democracy, Brink will assist Metz in managing all departments of The Observer.

Brink, a native of Edgewater, Md., lives in Fisher Hall and currently serves as co-sports editor. He covered football, women's basketball, track and field, women's soccer, Saint Mary's basketball, swimming and golf and previously served as Interhall football editor.

Brink held the position of News Editor for part of the Spring Semester in 2008 and said he is looking forward to assuming his new role.

"Working here has allowed me to do some pretty cool things and meet some great people, and to have a chance to help lead the paper is something I'm proud of," he said.

Steiner, also a resident of Fisher Hall, is a junior majoring in management and German. A native of West Bend, Wis., Steiner currently serves as an assistant news editor.

He has covered a variety of topics since joining The Observer his freshman year, including sustainability issues, student government and other campus news.

"We're fortunate to have a talented staff at The Observer and I'm confident our team will produce an outstanding newspaper in the year ahead," Steiner said.

King, the current viewpoint editor, is a junior majoring in accounting and economics. She is most recently from Thorpe, Surrey, UK, and served as viewpoint copy editor from 2006-08.

"I look forward to becoming more involved with the paper in the upcoming year," she said.