SMC Basketball: SMC set to take on Adrian

With a school-record 11 MIAA wins already under its belt, Saint Mary's will try to make it three straight as it hosts Adrian tonight at 7:30 p.m.

The Belles (13-8, 11-2) have been dominant of late and thrashed Alma 66-39 Saturday. The Belles had not given up less than 40 points in a game since 2002. Saint Mary's took it to the Scots in the second half, outscoring them 36-19 in the final 20 minutes.

Junior forward Anna Kammrath and senior forward Erin Newsom had solid outings once again in that contest, leading all scorers with 12 and 10 points, respectively.

The win also guaranteed that the Belles, who are a half-game behind rival Hope College for the lead in the MIAA, will finish no lower than second place in this year's conference standings, another first for the school. Saint Mary's had never finished higher than third place in the MIAA.

While this season has been filled with broken records and noteworthy performances, the Belles are still trying to win out and pray that Hope slips in one of its remaining four games. The best chance for the Dutch to lose will be this Wednesday, as they face archrival Calvin.

For the Belles to be successful against Adrian, however, they will need another strong performance from their bench, which contributed 27 points in last weekend's game, and strong play in the paint. The Belles outscored Alma 26-12 in the paint and 14-4 on second-chance points on Saturday.

Tonight's game is also part of Women's Basketball Coach Association's "Pink Week." Since 2007, more than 1.200 schools have helped raise awareness about breast cancer.

As a result of these schools' efforts, more than $930,000 has been raised for breast cancer research.