Sophomores, parents enjoy weekend at SMC

Parents of sophomore students at Saint Mary's spent the weekend participating with their daughters in numerous activities organized by Class of 2011 president Meg Griffin and other members of the Sophomore Board.

Sophomore Katie Brown, a member of the Sophomore Board, said the weekend went well.

"Everyone seemed to be having a great time," she said. "The silent auction on Friday was a hit. Saturday bingo was quite amusing for everyone. The Mass was beautiful, and the dinner was delicious and so much fun."

Parents had to register for the weekend, and then were able to participate in all of the events.

"I don't believe there was a problem with registration," Brown said. "If there were any dilemmas at all, we, the Sophomore Board, did everything in our power to accommodate everyone."

Many parents decided to come to the event. Students and parents combined, an estimated 360 people were in attendance.

"There were quite a few parents on campus all weekend," Brown said. "I don't have an exact number, but I'd guess that at least one fourth of the parents were on campus all weekend."

Throughout the weekend, a series of events were put on for parents and daughters. On Friday, the event hosted a silent auction, and on Saturday there was bingo, a special Mass dedicated to the parents and students and a formal dinner as well.

"It was a little hectic making sure all the events went as smooth as possible," Brown said. "But it all worked out, and the fact that the majority of parents and students seemed to have a great time is what really made this weekend so special."

The weekend concluded with the formal dinner Saturday evening.

"The dinner was very busy, but it went well," Brown said. "Of course, with an big dinner event, such as a wedding or a family party, there is always something going on. But we kept things going and did whatever it took to make everyone enjoy the night."

Brown said her family had a good time.

"My family had a great time," Brown said. "My mom and my uncle could only come on Saturday for Mass and dinner because of work, but they enjoyed meeting new people and seeing the campus again."