ND Women's Tennis: Team to play last road match

No. 3 Notre Dame will play its final road match of the season when it travels to Champaign, Ill. to take on No. 40 Illinois today.

The Irish (19-4, 3-0 Big East) are 2-1 on their current road trip behind wins over conference foes DePaul and Marquette with their lone loss coming against top-ranked Northwestern. The team knocked off DePaul 5-2 and swept Marquette 7-0 without senior captain Kelcy Tefft in the lineup. The 4-3 loss to Northwestern was their second of the season, the other coming in the semifinals of the ITA national indoor championships earlier this season.

Notre Dame has hit a bit of a rough stretch lately after starting out the season 17-2. The Irish have posted a 2-2 record in its last four outings, dating back to their 5-2 home loss against Baylor March 31.

The key for the Irish has been getting off to a fast start in the doubles competition. This weekend, the team ran away with both of the matches against the Blue Demons and the Golden Eagles where they swept the doubles point, but fell against the Wildcats when they failed to clinch it.

In its four losses this season, Notre Dame has been unable to win the doubles point three times.

The Irish will finish up their regular season schedule with a home match against Texas A&M April 11 before suiting up for the Big East championship tournament April 16.

Notre Dame's match with Illinois is scheduled to kick-off at 3:30 p.m. beginning with the doubles competition.