Something to be proud of

I am fond of many traditions from my home state of Iowa. It seems, however, that the rest of the world is not very familiar with these traditions. The word "supper," not "dinner," draws amused stares for its parochial ring and I have yet to find a fellow Notre Dame (non-Iowan) student who can share my joy in the idea of creek-stomping, mushroom hunting or what the butter cow will look like this summer.

Yes, despite the obscurity of these traditions outside of my home state, I am proud of them. With the overturn of a 2007 court ruling banning same-sex marriages on Friday, one of Iowa's traditions has been placed in the public spotlight. I am talking, of course, about the tradition of promoting equality in social issues. Iowa "was among the first states to legalize interracial marriage and to allow married women to own property. It was also the first state to admit a woman to the bar to practice law and was a leader in school desegregation" (Amy Lorentzen, "Iowa Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage").

Now, Iowa has become the third state in the nation - and the first state in the midwest - to legalize same-sex marriages. The unanimous decision of Iowa Supreme Court justices keeps with a tradition of leadership in social issues. If only one of Iowa's traditions is noticed outside of the state, I am glad that it is this tradition. Assuredly, the rest of the world will not care which team wins the traditional Cy-Hawk game this year and the rest of the student body will continue to ridicule me for my fondness of "supper." I hope, however, that they will all take notice of the precedent that has been set for social equality and strive to further promote this ideal. Yes. Now, more than ever, I am proud to be an Iowan.

Kirsten Adam

freshman

Welsh Family Hall

April 3