Student arrested, charged with rape

A Notre Dame junior was arrested on campus Wednesday and charged with felony rape in connection with a February 2009 incident, according to campus security logs and local media reports.

The student was arrested in or near his dormitory, Knott Hall, according to Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) crime logs, during the 3 p.m. hour Wednesday. According to reports, the student was a member of the Notre Dame swim team, but is not currently listed on the roster.

The student was released from the St. Joseph County Jail after posting $5,000 bond, according to a WNDU report.

The South Bend Tribune reported Thursday the felony rape charges were filed on Aug. 19 by the St. Joseph County Prosecutor's Office after police were called to investigate a case on Feb. 23 in Knott Hall.

According to the charges filed by the prosecutor's office, a partially-dressed woman was found sleeping on the floor in the men's residence hall wearing a shirt belonging to the accused student.

When police questioned the student, he told officers the two had been at a party, "hooked up" and had sex, according to the charges.

The woman had a blood-alcohol level of 0.13 and, according to the charges, told police she did not remember much about the evening, except that she had been drinking in a dorm room and at a "swim house" party.

When police asked the woman if she remembered having sex with the student, she told officers she would never have consented to have sex with him, according to the charges.

University spokesman Dennis Brown could not be reached late Thursday for comment, but Brown told the Tribune that NDSP did investigate the incident.

The St. Joseph County Police and Prosecutor's Offices could also not be reached late Thursday for comment.