House of Music hits sweet notes

One year ago, sophomore Malcolm Phelan decided there were simply not enough musical outlets in the Notre Dame community.

"Notre Dame is full of dorm-room DJs, shower-stall singers, Jack Johnson jammers, chapel congo drummers, jazz-flutists and music lovers of all sorts," he said. "We want to bring them out, put them on the quads and get them playing and enjoying music together."

Phelan, Rodio and a handful of other students began drafting a constitution, tentative schedules, budgets, events and a mission statement. After gaining approval from the Student Activities Office (SAO), the ND House of Music was born.

The club is open to musicians of all instruments and skill levels. One of the main focuses of the club's administration is The Band Project - a list of musicians with similar interests compiled for musicians to form bands. Amps and drum sets are also available for use.

The House of Music plans to host guest speakers lecturing about topics such as the history of music genres or discussing their experience in the music industry.

"Being a young and flexible club, we also plan to work directly with club members to put on specific events that they would like to see on campus," Phelan said. "If there is a demonstrated demand for any kind of musical venture here at Notre Dame, we will do our best to support and facilitate it."