Real experience providing support

I am writing in response to Ms. Jacquitta Martin's letter ("True Support?" Nov. 10) regarding the pro-life movement's support of women.

A woman should never be in the position where another forces her to have an abortion. This is intrinsic to the Right to Life values. In cases of rape and molestation, allowing a woman to have an abortion does not change the fact that she was abused. Instead, it provides a way out for perpetrators of such immoral actions, a cover up for their mistakes. In the end, the victim bears both the suffering caused by rape or molestation, and that from the abortion that she most likely did not choose. A woman should also never be in a place where she feels that she has to abort her child because "she would be bringing a child into an unhealthy and possibly unsafe environment." For women in this situation, adoption is a viable choice.

The Notre Dame/Saint Mary's College Right to Life student club has an entire committee devoted to helping women. The Motherhood Resource Committee organizes events ranging from babysitting for graduate students to fundraisers for a local maternity home. Off campus, the Women's Care Center in South Bend provides valuable resources to women facing crisis pregnancies. These include information about adoption for those who would not be able to take care of children themselves, counseling for mothers and expectant mothers, and help for both the mother and child with healthcare and physical needs.

Soon, Right to Life will be holding its annual Project Mom, one of the club's biggest events that reaches out to expectant mothers in the community. At the Project Mom baby shower at the Women's Care Center last spring, 16 mothers received baskets containing diapers, soap, clothing, blankets and a gift for the mother herself. Meeting with these women, some of whom were very young teenagers, was one of the most meaningful experiences I have had during my time as a Notre Dame student. Seeing the women who benefit from this project is incredibly rewarding, as is seeing pro-life values in action. I encourage Ms. Martin, and all others who want to support women who choose life, to help out with Project Mom in some way, by donating supplies or money, or just attending the baby shower and meeting the women our work supports.

Christina Kuklinski

sophomore

Pasquerilla West Hall

Nov. 11