Carroll Hall to host annual Christmas event

It's that magical time of year again — Carroll Christmas time.

Carroll Hall will be hosting its signature annual event, complete with Santa Claus, food, music and plenty of holiday cheer tonight from 6:30 to 11:00 p.m.

"A Carroll Christmas" has been a Carroll Hall tradition for 12 years. Even with pending exams and the opportunity for outlets of entertainment closer on campus, over 1,000 students made the trip to Carroll Christmas last year.

The same number is expected again this year, junior Robert Wilson, coordinator of Carroll Christmas, said.

"There are some very good events that are held [by dorms] but I think this is one of the highest-attended ones," Wilson said.

Carroll residents have been working on advertising the event over the last week.

"At the Hall President's Council meeting we handed out big flyers for people to post in their dorms. [On Tuesday and Wednesday] from five to seven we were outside South Dining Hall handing out quarter page flyers and candy canes," Wilson said. "We got rid of 1,400 flyers and 1,400 candy canes [Wednesday.]"

Wilson said that almost everyone in the dorm takes part in the planning process.

"We're a small dorm so we try to get many people involved."

The total cost of the event is around $2,400, and The Student Activities Office  funds about half, he said.

Wilson said one of the most popular and well-known attractions of Carroll Christmas is Christmas Karaoke. A pianist plays popular Christmas songs and students can go up to the front of the room to sing.

Carroll is also having a toy drive for Hannah & Friends. Bins will be placed at the front doors to accept children's toy donations, Wilson said.

"A Carroll Christmas" traditionally has indoor and outdoor entertainment. Last year there was a tent outside, but Wilson said the tent was too expensive, and people tended to stay inside regardless.

"This year we bought a bunch of fencing, we're going to build a fence in through our side door and there's going to be food out there, a heater, the tree and blow up Santas and snowmen, he said. "And who knows, maybe we'll get some snow this year."

Another attraction of this year's event is a cookie contest, Wilson said. Attendees can bring their best home-baked cookies to be judged. Prizes, which include gift cards to Chipotle and Borders, will be awarded to the winners.

"I think it's amazing how many people show up and partake in [Carroll Christmas] from other areas of the campus," Wilson said. "We don't have a lot of visitors besides this one night."

Sophomore Michael DeRusso agreed.

"If you ever come to Carroll, Carroll Christmas is the night to come and see the tight-knit community we have," he said.