SMC celebrates holiday with service activities

The Office of Civil and Social Engagement (OCSE) is celebrating Christmas this year by bringing together service activities for students and staff to participate. The 12 Days of Christmas will take place from Dec. 1 to 12.

The project has several goals, according to the project sheet provided by the director of OCSE, Carrie Call. The event draws together several different service opportunities for students and staff that allow them to adopt families and individuals to buy gifts, collect food and make ornaments for, among other things.

"[The names of families and individuals] come from our partner Title 1 schools, through the College Academic Tutoring program, REAL Services, Mental Health America and the Salvation Army," according to the project sheet. 

The funds for the project will be raised through various activities throughout the next 12 days and then purchased by OCSE.

Students will be given the opportunity to decorate cookies and make ornaments for "opportunities for fellowship and holiday-related activities," according to the project sheet.
Call said students could also offer to ring bells for the Salvation Army or participate in reflection time for students with vespers services and discussion sessions.

Students and staff can be as involved as they want.

"Students, faculty and staff are involved in a wide variety of ways. This is a campus-wide event and people can be involved as little or as much as they would like," according to the sheet.

To get involved, Call said students can volunteer to join committees for the group.

The idea for the 12 Days of Christmas has grown since Call began at Saint Mary's.

"The project kind of grew on its own over the years. I started the family/individual adoptions when I came into this office in 2004 and it has expanded over the years," Call said.
There are several events planned for every day through Dec. 12.

Today, there will be a blood drive, stocking decorating and photos will be taken next to the Christmas tree in Reignbeaux Lounge in Le Mans Hall.

The rest of the week's activities will include fudge decorating, card making, a St. Nicholas festival, breakfast with Santa at the homeless center, gingerbread house making and several more.

The complete list of activities can be found at the Saint Mary's Web site.

Anyone interested in participating can visit the booth set up in the Student Center atrium from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. during the remainder of the week.