Concert raises funds for Sisters

A charity concert — "Singing for the Sisters" — was held in the Little Theater, Wednesday night on Saint Mary's campus. It was organized by the Student Activities Board (SAB) in order to support Belles for Africa and their work with the Sisters of the Holy Cross in Uganda.

"Belles for Africa is a program started by the Student Athletics Advisory Committee (SAAC) to raise funds for Uganda," Student Activities Board (SAB) president Michele Peterson said. "100 percent of the proceeds will be donated to the Belles for Africa program on behalf of the student body."

This event brought together a cappella groups from Saint Mary's and Notre Dame, including Bellacappella, The Undertones and Harmonia.

"We wanted an event that students could enjoy, so we decided on asking some of the a cappella groups to perform," Peterson said.

The night began with Harmonia, Notre Dame's only all-female a cappella group. The ladies performed many songs including "Galileo" and a mash-up of Black-Eyed Peas, "I Got a Feeling" and Kelly Clarkson's "My Life Would Suck Without You."

Bellacappella took the stage next. They were wearing black dresses with red and yellow accessories.

They are the colors of Uganda and we wanted to show our support for this cause and for the children of Uganda," Bellacappella member Krystina Harcourt said.

Bellacappella member and senior Lauren Theiss had the opportunity to travel to Uganda and to witness the conditions in the country and how the children are living. She was energetic about this great concert and how it will benefit the children in Uganda.

"This concert means a lot to us. Thank you for opening your hearts and giving back to these children," Theiss said.

To close, The Undertones not only brought some laughs during their set; they also performed a new song for the group, "Come on Get Higher" by Matt Nathanson.

After a night of music and entertainment from all three a cappella groups, with the help of the students, SAB was able to raise approximately $300 to help the children in Uganda.