Fairy Tales Tunes' hit the stage

With different fairy tale-related musical pieces and appropriate costuming, several Saint Mary's music majors will present the "Fairy Tale Tunes," a show designed with kids in mind but enjoyable for all, Laurel Thomas, associate professor of music at the College, said.

"It's really a musical review, which means that there are individual pieces that are kind of strung together to create a story," Thomas said.

Students will sing a mix of opera, theatre tunes and rock tunes to create three different scenes pertaining to the fairy tale theme. Singers will be junior Anna Bax and freshmen Erin Marks, Toni Marsteller, Angie Schott, Ashley Stopzynski and Joy Viceroy. Students have been working on this performance since the beginning of the spring semester.

"It's for the students to learn something and also to offer it to the community," she said. "It's educational and also an outreach."

A small orchestra will accompany the singers. Members of the orchestra include sophomores Sarah Chidester and Alexis Hiner, and freshmen Bethany Ledyard and Kristen Vokt. Sherry Klinedinst, a member of the music department's faculty, directs the orchestra.

The show will be held on the O'Laughlin Auditorium Stage tonight and tomorrow at 7:30 p.m.

The performance will include three different scenes. One scene will be based off of "Hansel and Gretel." Another scene will be about "Little Red Riding Hood" and the third scene will be about "Cinderella."

"It's created to kind of be a kid's show," Thomas said. "I mean, it's a show that kids would like, but it's not strictly for children. Anybody can come to it."

The performance will consist of a variety of songs, including selections from the opera "Hansel and Gretel" by Engelbert Humperdinck, "Great Big Word" from "Hoodwinked" and selections from "Cenerentola," an opera by Gioacchino Rossini.

According to Thomas, the show was designed with the specific singers in mind.
"This show was created specifically for these students, taking their individual talents and gifts into consideration," Thomas said.

Thomas said the performance was created with children in mind as well.

"When we were designing the show, we decided to go with the idea that this was a show that kids would put on and so there's nothing realistic about the set and the costumes and all," Thomas said. "It's more like how would you make a dressing table out of some crates or how would you draw a tree. So the trees are like cartoon trees. So the design of the show is kind of like a children's designed show."

Tickets for the show will cost $11 for adults, $9 for seniors, $8 for Notre Dame and Saint Mary's faculty and staff and $6 for students and children. They can be purchased at the Moreau Box Office.