Men's Tennis: Team ends regular season with 7-0 win

The Irish ended their regular season on a high note Saturday, defeating Navy 7-0. Notre Dame will look to take their momentum from the shutout into the Big East tournament this week.

"Navy is a special match for me," Irish coach Bobby Bayliss, who coached the Midshipmen for 15 seasons, said. "The Academy is bringing back people who played under me there. It's a reunion of sorts for me and a chance to see players I haven't in years, all who have gone to be very successful in their lives."

The Irish jumped out to an early lead, claiming the doubles point and improving their record to 10-1 on the season when earning the first point in the match.

Junior Tyler Davis improved his record to 4-1 on the season in dual singles matches, defeating Nicholas Gutsche 6-1, 6-3 at No. 6 singles.

No. 93 junior Dan Stahl was able to clinch the third point in the match for the Irish as he defeated Anderson Walls 6-2, 6-3.

Fellow junior Stephen Havens clinched the win for the Irish at No. 2 singles, defeating Marcus Rebersak 6-3, 6-2.

David Anderson extended the lead to 5-0 for the Irish after winning at No. 5 singles with a win over Zach Nicholson in two sets.

"David Anderson has come on strong for us as the season has progressed," Bayliss said. "He has added good all court skills and can finish at the net, something that was problematic for him as a freshman. He has a big first serve, penetrating ground strokes and counters better than he did even a year ago. More than anything he has a real presence on the court and great determination."

Next off the court was sophomore Samuel Keeton, as he defeated Jeremy New at No. 4 singles by a score of 7-5, 6-2.

Fellow sophomore Casey Watt was able to pull out a win in three sets at No. 1 singles to round out the sweep for the Irish.

The Irish will return home as they host the Big East championships beginning April 22.