SMC Tennis: Belles sweep Bulldogs in conference contest

The Belles opened their final week of action before the MIAA championships with a 9-0 win over conference opponent Adrian Saturday.

The win gives the Belles (10-8, 3-4 MIAA) the opportunity to reach .500 in conference play if they defeat Olivet today.

Junior Jillian Hurley defeated Robyn Denney at No. 1 singles with a 6-0, 6-3 win, while senior Camille Gebert won her match at No. 2 singles with a 6-1, 6-2 decision over Katelyn Simcina.

"It was very important for us to play solid against Adrian," Gebert said. "We needed a big win and we needed momentum for our confidence. I think everyone was pretty satisfied with the results."

At No. 3 singles, junior Franca Peluso also won in straight sets, defeating Adrienne Hasse 6-2, 6-0 and junior Jessica Kosinski won at No. 4 singles, 6-3, 6-0, against Adrian's Shelby Kruszewski.

At No. 1 doubles, the combination of Hurley and junior Mary Therese Lee picked up another win, defeating Denney and Sarah Brooks 8-1.

Gebert and Peluso added a win to the Belles' total by defeating Hasse and Kruszewski 8-2.

After their match against Olivet, the Belles will prepare all week for the MIAA Tournament. The championships will take place Friday and Saturday.

"I don't think anything is going to change for us this week as we head into the MIAA championships," Gebert said. "We are ready, we have worked hard and we know all of the teams we will be facing. Now all we have to do is bring the goods and hope for a good draw. I am excited at the chance to take another try at either Kalamazoo or Albion."

The Belles will take on Olivet today at Michigan State at 3 p.m.

"Against Olivet, we have to remember to play our own games," Gebert said. "It will be nice change of pace to play indoors tomorrow; we always play better indoors."