Group discusses pep rally, Army football weekend

At the Council of Representatives (COR) meeting Tuesday, talk centered on feedback from last week's pep rally's new format.

Members also discussed student government's presentation to the Alumni Association, the logistics of students attending the Army game and updates on the situation with police and the community.

The response to the pep rally was overall extremely positive, with only a few minor problems reported, members said.

"I got there a little late and had some trouble actually finding the student section," Kate Clitheroe, Class of 2011 president, said. "I felt a little excluded as an off-campus senior."

Catherine Soler, student body president, said this was a result of the redefined student section with a single entrance, which is meant to go along with the new student walkover.

Congestion around the student section and difficulty hearing the band were also mentioned as possibly needing attention.

Last Thursday's presentation by Soler to the Alumni Association offered a chance for student government to communicate possible improvements in the functional relationship between students and the alumni.

"They love the idea of a dorm alumni representative and also finding a better way for students to get in touch with them," Soler said. "They're interested in what's going on on campus and want to be involved."

Soler said the upcoming sale of student tickets to the Notre Dame vs. Army game at Yankee Stadium in New York City will be for sale online Sept. 26 at 1 p.m.

Six hundred tickets will be available on a first come, first served basis, and students must be full-time Notre Dame students to be eligible.

The game weekend will include mass at St. Patrick's and a pep rally at Lincoln Center, and the band will be playing in Central Park, Soler said.

This coming weekend has been designated as the official kickoff for the administration's beND campaign.

"This weekend we have four events that all tie together with a similar purpose" Soler said.

On Friday at 5:30 p.m., there will be a "Welcome Back Picnic" on North Quad.

"You can meet families and kids in the community, there's free food, and they're always looking for volunteers," Soler said.

The following Saturday, student government will be co-sponsoring a block party at Eddy Street Commons from 2 to 3:30 p.m.

"It's just a chance to see what's going on at Eddy Street Commons," Soler said. "There will be an opportunity for students to give feedback also."

While arrests have decreased in recent weekends, student government is still prioritizing student-police relations and educating students about their rights as part of beND.

The two other events of the weekend will be a presentation by lawyer C.L. Lindsay on safe partying Sunday and a forum featuring representatives from NDSP and ResLife Monday.

"It was a relatively quiet weekend, a few incidences but not like it was in the beginning of the year," Soler said. "Administration is still addressing it next week we have a meeting with excise police and another with SBPD. Everyone is still working on it at various levels."