SMC Volleyball: Belles face local foe in first match

The Belles enter a new season optimistic they can improve upon last year's seventh-place MIAA finish that saw the team go 9-17 (5-11).

"I feel like we have a great shot at having a winning record," sophomore Autumn Nelson said. "We are all very dedicated to the sport and it shows in practices."

Sophomore Allison Zandarski is also looking forward to a successful year for the Belles.

"I feel optimistic about our chances this season," Zandarski said. "We have a lot of strong passers and as long as we commit to the team and each other we should have a great season."

The team has a good blend of experienced upperclassmen and talented underclassmen that they hope will mesh into a successful unit.

"As always the key to winning is playing as a team," junior Danie Brink said. "If we all do our jobs and give 110 percent, they wont be able to stop us."

Brink is also excited by the dynamics the young Belles bring to the team.

"We have great team chemistry this season," Brink said. "On the court we are able to talk and work through momentary setbacks. With our freshman bringing great talent and height to the team, we have the chance to have a winning season."

Seniors Meghann Rose and Ellen Huelsmann return for their fourth season with the squad and, in addition to their solid play, they are mentoring the numerous underclassmen.

Their first challenge comes tonight again cross-town rival Bethel. The Belles lost to the Pilots in the opener last season, but a win tonight could start the season off on the right foot and give Saint Mary's some momentum.

The match will be played at 7 p.m. at Bethel.