The Big Red Dawg clash

If you walked through South Quad early this week, you probably heard the din of trash talk between the Alumni Dawgs and the Dillon Big Red leading up to Wednesday's interhall football scrimmage.

The highly anticipated matchup pitted the two rival dorms against each other with the greatest prize of all at stake: bragging rights.

While the two dorms do not play each other in the regular season because they are in different divisions, they meet once a year in a scrimmage in order to prove which dorm is truly superior.

"A contest of men's dorms football is probably the best way to find out which dorm is better," Dillon senior captain Jordan Smith said.

The men of Dillon and Alumni have strong opinions on that subject.

"If you ask the lovely ladies of Notre Dame and St. Mary's, I'm sure they could tell you why Dillon is better," Smith said.

But according to the Dawgs, the Big Red themselves are ladies.

"I've always liked a good battle of the sexes," Alumni freshman Steve Bischoff said.

Dillon saw the contest a little differently.

"The hammer of 79 years of justice is about to be brought down. Call us the blacksmiths of [Alumni's] ironclad fate," Dillon freshman David Howe said.

Come game time, heavy rain beat down on the players and added to the intensity of the rivalry.

The Big Red triumphed 14-0, scoring a defensive touchdown in the early stages of the game and adding a touchdown from Smith on the last play.

Although there were no fans in attendance, the men of Dillon will still cherish the victory as proof of their superiority to Alumni.

"This football victory is just a taste of what's to come in future interhall sports and a physical representation of the beatdown we deal to [the Dawgs] every day in every way imaginable," Dillon freshman Jack Yusko said.