The Cinderblock Palace of Love'

In his Sept. 7 letter ("Stanford and Keenan"), Mr. Gotcher advocates the demolition of Stanford Hall because it lacks the "strength, utility and beauty" embodied by the other dorms on campus that are "navigable, sturdy and pleasing on the eyes".

As to the first charge, Stanford Hall is four floors with hallways running North-to-South and East-to-West, and a basement — a layout only a Michigan fan would have trouble navigating. As to the second, I doubt you'll find any cinderblocks on campus sturdier than those in "The Cinderblock Palace of Love."

And as to the third, Mr. Gotcher has judged this book entirely by its cover. Had he taken the time to get past the "ugly" cover on Stanford Hall and read up on its history he would have found an inner beauty worthy of the new windows. I know I can speak on behalf of my friends that lived there with me, and most likely all alumni of Stanford Hall, when I say that some of the best years of our lives were spent living in Stanford Hall and to us it is one of the most beautiful buildings on campus. I sincerely hope the University continues to spend the money necessary to keep Stanford Hall a part of the campus for as long as possible.

However, I agree with Mr. Gotcher regarding Keenan. It is a vastly inferior dorm and, given the waste created by demolition, would best serve the campus by being converted into storage space for the glorious residents of Stanford Hall.

Go Irish! Beat Wolverines!

Mark Pfizenmayer

alumnus

Class of 2004

Sept. 9