Drive to be held at Rolfs

The Notre Dame community will have the opportunity to save lives through a blood drive run by RecSports in coordination with the South Bend Medical Foundation. The drive will run today and Thursday at the Rolfs Sports Recreation Center.

This drive is one of three blood drives that RecSports and the South Bend Medical Foundation put together each year.

Jennie Phillips, assistant director of Fitness and Fitness Facilities, describes past drives at Notre Dame as "very successful."

She said that the South Bend Medical Foundation staff has been "helpful and are good people to work with."

"[Giving blood is] an easy way for people to contribute to their local community," Phillips said. "It's free and doesn't take a lot of time."

So far in 2010, there have been 252 donors from the Notre Dame community, Phillips said. The result of this is 226 lives saved. A total of 192 units of blood have been collected before this drive, she said.

"One pint of blood can save three lives," Phillips said.

The success of these drives would not be possible without the contributions of students and faculty, she said.

"I am always so impressed by the response of Notre Dame. Everyone is so service-minded," Phillips said.

The actual process of donating "takes about 45 minutes with 10 minutes afterward to eat and drink to make sure you're not queasy or lightheaded," Phillips said.

According to Phillips, there are some requirements to keep in mind if you are planning to donate. You must be at least 17 years old and weigh a minimum of 110 pounds. You must be in overall good health. Also, all first time donors need to bring a photo ID with them.

Students can donate at a station set up in the Rolfs Sports Recreation Center today from 11 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Phillips said.

There are call ahead reservations but walk-ins are also welcome.