Observer elects new top editor

The Observer General Board elected Sports Editor Douglas Farmer as the 2011-12 Editor-in-Chief Sunday.

Farmer, a junior Program of Liberal Studies major with a minor in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy, is a native of La Crosse, Wisc.

A resident of Alumni Hall, Farmer has led several sports beats, including football, men's basketball, hockey, baseball, women's soccer and men's lacrosse.

"I look forward to the opportunities and challenges this new role will bring me. Fortunately, I know I will have a talented and dedicated staff working with me every step of the way," Farmer said.

Farmer became Sports Editor in the spring of 2010 and led coverage of Irish football coach Brian Kelly's first season as well as the Notre Dame women's soccer team's national championship.

"Douglas has done a tremendous job this year as Sports Editor, specifically in improving the feedback given to writers and increasing the amount of quality content on our website," outgoing Editor-in-Chief Matt Gamber said. "I have enjoyed working with Douglas over the past three years and know he will continue to serve as a great leader and example for others at the paper."

Farmer said he expects to build upon The Observer's "strong journalistic tradition" with the help of the rest of the Editorial Board in the coming year.

"I anticipate a year of great experiences thanks to this new position," he said.

Farmer will take over as Editor-in-Chief on March 7.