COR plans for freshmen

The Council of Representatives (COR) looked to the upcoming year and planned for the incoming freshmen class during its meeting Tuesday.

The representatives discussed the future of the First Undergraduate Experience in Leadership (FUEL) program as it concludes its first year.

FUEL director Ricky Bevington said FUEL is an improvement on the previous program, Freshmen Leadership Experience (FLEX).

"This year FUEL had a different focus," Bevington said. "FUEL educates freshmen about different branches of student government. The group is about 50 students, and then they are integrated in Senate committees."

Bevington said FLEX taught students about campus leadership but did not integrate them enough into actual student government projects and positions. FLEX ran for two years before FUEL replaced it for the 2010-11 academic year.

Student body president Catherine Soler said many in the inaugural FUEL group will serve in student government positions, such as hall senator or president.

FUEL members learned about student government organization and initiatives before they were integrated into Senate committees. Bevington said these freshmen were able to contribute more fully and learn more about the workings of student government policy than previous FLEX participants.

"FUEL can help people know about different student government positions," Bevington said. "But also it can help them find where they fit best inside student government."

Bevington said the current leaders would present an amendment to the Student Union Constitution to keep the FUEL program running.

Council members also analyzed the freshman experience at "College HAS Issues." Soler said student government and administration has been working to better educate freshmen about sexual assault and alcohol.

Junior class president James Ward said freshmen might be more engaged in a smaller presentation than the large "College HAS Issues" talk during freshman orientation.

"I think this could more effectively come through the dorm and hall staff rather than a big meeting," he said. "Even if an RA sat down one-on-one with freshmen, it would be a lot more comfortable."

Freshman class president Heather Eaton agreed that a better environment for the talk was needed.

"I think the program itself was fine," she said. "But I think if it was just in the basement of the dorms it would be more effective."

Judicial Council brought its future plans before COR as well. Judicial Council president Marcelo Perez nominated junior Susanna Sullivan as Judicial Council president for the upcoming year.

Sullivan served as the vice president of peer advocacy on the Judicial Council this year and advised on many cases that have appeared before the Office of Residence Life and Housing, Perez said.

"She is a well-rounded person all around, and she has my full support," Perez said.

The representatives approved Sullivan, and she will begin in her position on April 1.