Dayne sticks to charity

Activities at Rolfs Sports Recreation Center were in full force Friday, but Center Court One was temporarily out of commission. Irish quarterback Dayne Crist was taped to the east wall with purple, pink, blue and even cheetah tape.

"Donate to Duct Tape Dayne" was the hook that drew Notre Dame students, faculty and staff to Rolfs Sports Recreation Center to a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life event. RecSports partnered with Relay for Life to raise both awareness and funding for the event.

"I wanted to do something truly different," Lana Wright, Relay for Life committee member and event coordinator, said. "Think outside the box. That's my motto."

The idea for the event was a product of an online search for a unique and innovative fundraising idea, she said.

Wright said she needed a duct-tape victim who was not only willing, but that would draw attention. She aimed high and sought out Crist.

"I was more than happy to be a part of such a great cause," Crist said. "One way or another we have all been affected by cancer, and I am glad that I can be a part of something that is so personal for so many people."

Although he did not know exactly what he would be doing for the fundraiser, Crist said he did not try to scramble out of the commitment when he learned he was going to be duct-taped.

"It didn't change my mind," he said. "It's for such a great cause."

Crist smiled, laughed and shouted at friends who were playing basketball or running around the track in an effort to get more participants. Friends, students and others gathered to immobilize Crist.

RecSports was an active participant in the fundraiser. Not only did its staff coordinate the event in conjunction with the Relay for Life Committee, but RecSports interns remained still as donors threw pies at their faces.

Wright said their official goal was to raise $1,000. Donations ranged according to what each participant wanted to do, with $3 to duct-tape Crist and $1 to pie an intern. In addition to these interactive donation activities, participants were also encouraged to purchase luminaries, Peyton Pops or the iconic wristbands. Each donor was then asked to sign a commemorative board that will be donated to Relay for its silent auction.

The Notre Dame Relay for Life Committee recognizes the growing relevance of cancer in the lives of its students, faculty, staff and community, Wright said. The members are proud to participate and hope that, together with the American Cancer Society, they can help create a world with less cancer and more birthdays, their website said.

Relay for Life will take place from April 29-30 at Notre Dame, Wright said. The exact campus location of the Relay has yet to be determined.