Men's Golf: Irish travel to Louisiana for tourney

After finishing 12th of 15 in the country at last weekend's Schenkel Invitational, the Irish will try to rebound this weekend at the University Club Intercollegiate tournament in Baton Rouge, La.

The Intercollegiate will feature a variety of teams from the Big East, Big Ten and ACC, including VCU, Boston College and Iowa.

"With so many different teams from so many different conferences here it should be a lot of fun," Irish coach Jim Kubinski said.  "This should be a bounce-back weekend for us after Schenkel.  We have to get back to the level we were at in the fall."

Inconsistency has been a problem for the Irish, who are still getting used to playing outside after a winter indoors. 

"Sure it's nice to have an indoor facility, but we really have to get used to being outside," Kubinski said. "We're much too inconsistent right now."

One constant in the Irish lineup has been junior Tom Usher, the recently crowned Big East golfer of the week.  Usher finished 20th overall at the Schenkel Invitational with a two-over-par three-day score.

"Tom is our most consistent golfer. We can always count on him to be around or under par round in and round out," Kubinksi said.  "He's really a leader of this team."

Usher finished second individually at the Big East championships last year and also led the team to a runner-up finish.  Now with the Big East tournament just two weeks away and a championship in sight, the team is focused on the remaining rounds left to play.

"We've tried all year not to get caught up in rankings and results," Kubinski said.  "We obviously have set the Big East as a goal, and we have goals beyond the conference tournament.  But we have to concentrate on what we're doing this week in Louisiana and keep on getting better."

The Irish take to the links Saturday at the Collegiate Club in Baton Rouge.