Come on in

Dear Class of 2015,

We hope you've had a smooth move-in process and a great start to your first weekend as a student at Notre Dame! This is an incredibly important moment in your life, and it's a privilege for us to have the chance to share it with you and your family.

As your student body president and vice president, our job is to lead a team of students who advocate for the aspirations of the student body as a whole as well as every branch of the University. Your Student Union is made up of hundreds of undergraduates running organizations that exist for the sole purpose of serving you. We hope you'll take advantage of them. We work on issues ranging from constituent services, such as lowering the price of Quarter Dogs and increasing the size of student printing quotas, to broader reform efforts, such as pursuing a comprehensive university sustainability strategy.

Come visit us in 203 LaFortune Hall to find out how you can get involved. Choose a path to make your mark and join together to answer Fr. Jenkins' challenge to "build a Notre Dame that is bigger and better than ever."

Now, back to this weekend. There are probably a dozen things going on in your mind as you read through The Observer on your way to five different orientation events that you have somehow managed to squeeze into the next half hour. Before you finish lofting your bed, buying your books and planning how you'll fit in that triple major while still saving time to study abroad on two continents, hold on for just one second. You're about to start one of the most exciting adventures of your life, and the best part is you can't really plan it out in advance.

But you can count on one thing: you're not in this alone. Your section is with you. Your hall staff is with you. And we're with you too. Whether you're not sure where to find your place at Notre Dame or literally lost somewhere on campus, head for 203 LaFortune Hall right next to the Golden Dome. Our door is always open. Come on in — anytime for any reason. In the meantime, please let us know if there's anything we can do to help with the transition. You can find a member of our team by looking for an "Ask Me" name tag and we'll all be happy to answer any questions you or your parents might have.

Thank you for choosing to give yourself to this Notre Dame family. We think you'll find it's a place like no other on earth, and can't wait to see how you build it even better. As you do, we hope you'll consider us along for the ride, and with you every step of the way.

Patrick McCormick

Student Body President

University of Notre Dame

Aug. 20, 2011

Brett Rocheleau

Student Body Vice President

University of Notre Dame

Aug. 20, 2011