College hosts annual Trot for Tots

The Saint Mary's College Dance Marathon sponsored the third annual "Trot for Tots" 5K, which attracted participants from Saint Mary's, Notre Dame and the South Bend community Wednesday.

Co-chair Fundraising Executives juniors Kate Kellogg and Liz Kraig were responsible for planning and organizing the race.

"It's a great fundraiser to start awareness early in the year," Kellogg said. "It's the kickoff fundraiser for Dance Marathon, but it gets the ball rolling on other fundraisers to come."

Kellogg and Kraig were satisfied with the turnout this year. Eighty people pre-registered, paying a $12 fee that included a tank top.

"This is the first year we've had this many participants pre-register," Kellogg said. "So already, we've raised over $850 with pre-registration."

Last year's Dance Marathon raised over $63,000 and Kellogg said they hope to increase that by 20 percent.

"That's our goal," she said.

Kraig and Kellogg said they are especially happy with the amount of money fundraised, considering the number of students that attend Saint Mary's.

"It's really great that we're able to do so much with the size of our student body," Kraig said. "We also have the help from Notre Dame this year, too, which makes a difference."

The race started at the softball fields and looped around the outer perimeter of Saint Mary's campus twice. The finish line was marked at Library Green in front of McCandless Hall.

"I already enjoy running, so it's something I already love to do," junior Dilan Yuksel said. "It was just awesome that I could combine helping kids with what I already love to do."

Sodexo Dining Services provided refreshments after the race. Gift cards and T-shirts were awarded for first, second and third place runners.

"I ran for the kids," junior Caitlin Walsh said. "There's really nothing more to it. It's just a great cause I wanted to support."