Mendoza MBA named military-friendly school

G.I. Jobs magazine named the Mendoza College of Business MBA program a military friendly school for the third year in a row.

Director of Admissions for the MBA program Brian Lohr said Mendoza has a history of supporting the armed forces and vice versa.

"If you go look at headstones in Holy Cross cemetery, you'll see chaplains from the Civil War," he said.

Schools are ranked by the programs available, the financial commitment to veterans and enlisted students, the success in recruiting military students and the school's academic accreditations, G.I. Jobs magazine's website stated.

The last three classes for the MBA program have averaged about 10 percent former military members, with all branches of the military represented, Lohr said.

"These students are tremendous leaders, coming from tremendous leadership experiences … They're leaders in class, and they are working hard to prepare themselves for their next phase in life," Lohr said. "They are exactly the kind of students you want to have."

While all branches of the military are represented in the class, Lohr said the most represented branch is the Army.

One way the Mendoza College of Business attracts so many military students is with the Yellow Ribbon Program, which is used in conjunction with the G.I. Bill to help pay for veterans to go to graduate school, he said.

The Yellow Ribbon program allows veterans to take the highest in-state tuition of any college in Indiana and apply it to the university of their choice, he said.

"When the Yellow Ribbon Program is used in conjunction with the G.I. Bill and our fellowship support, it makes for an attractive financial package," Lohr said.

However, Lohr said the Yellow Ribbon Program did not change military student enrollment that much since its introduction in 2009.

"We didn't really see that big of a jump, but we were committed to [helping our veterans in various ways] before Yellow Ribbon," Lohr said.

One of the ways Notre Dame is committed to all the students in the two-year MBA program is through a career coach, Lohr said. Students are assigned a career coach for their time at the University.

"This helps them take their past work experience and shape that in a way that will be able to work in the private industry or whatever they want to go into," Lohr said.

Lohr said the program has been successful.

"Last year we had quite a few military students end up on Wall Street," he said. "That is a pretty significant transition and speaks to the work the career coaches do with them."