Movie Trailer Round-up

"Moneyball"

Premiering Sept. 28

Based on the best-selling 2003 nonfiction book of the same name by Michael Lewis, "Moneyball" follows the journey of Billy Beane, general manager of the Oakland A's, and the revolution he started in Major League Baseball in the early 2000's. The trailer gives glimpses of the mathematical approach that Beane and his assistant general manager, Paul De Podesta, pioneered — a feature of the film that any baseball fan should find fascinating. Equally interesting is the human story that the trailer presents. In real life, Beane is a man known for his incredible charm and dedication to his team, but also for his uncontrollable rage and struggles with his emotions. Much like "The Blind Side" a few years ago, this film has a chance to be a great sports film that appeals to more than the typical fan.

"The Rum Diary"

Premiering Oct. 28

Johnny Depp returns to the work of Hunter S. Thomson in this fictional account of Thomson's time in Puerto Rico as a journalist. Thomson wrote the book that inspired "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," which also stars Depp. Thompson is known for his off the wall, drug-ridden and wildly entertaining stories. The trailer for "The Rum Diary" seems to promise more of the same. With Depp starring and a talented supporting cast, the film looks to deal with issues of justice and morality, while maintaining Thomson's trippy and whacked-out spirit. 

"Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" 

Premiering Sept. 16

This film features enough "Harry Potter" cast members to make an HP8. "Tinker, Tailor Soldier, Spy" looks to be an intense cold war thriller devoid of helpful house elves, but instead filled with refined British accents. From the trailer, we know that a former spy, George Smiley (Gary Oldman) comes out of retirement to search for a Soviet mole within the ranks of MI6 (the British version of the CIA). The movie is based on a novel by John le Carré, who was actually a spy himself for MI5 and MI6 in the ‘50s and ‘60s. This trailer promises everything from suspense and betrayal to romance and Collin Firth. It's a must see.

"Abduction" 

Premiering Sept. 23

Taylor Lautner's new thriller, "Abduction," is a teenybopper's version of "The Bourne Identity." Look out Matt Damon — Taylor Lautner is stealing your mojo, and breaking "tween"-age hearts in the process. In the trailer, Lautner and his female companion (Lily Collins) discover that Lautner's character is on a missing person's website. This sends the soon-to-be couple off on a whirlwind, action-packed adventure to find out who Lautner really is. In this self-discovery process, the pair also has to avoid being caught by the sophisticated intelligence service that begins hunting them. Now that Lautner's covered the bases of a romance movie with the "Twilight" saga, he is starring in a new film that can be classified as action, drama and mystery. For explosions, fight scenes and teenage identity crises, mark your calendars for Sept. 23.

"The Artist" 

Premiering Nov. 23

You probably think you don't ever want to watch a silent film. But the trailer for "The Artist" might just prove you wrong. The film, which has been racking up awards since it hit the festival circuit earlier this year, is in black-and-white and features no dialogue. But festival audiences have fallen in love with the film. The trailer gives a glimpse as to why. Despite its lack of dialogue, the trailer draws you into it and takes you along an emotional ride, complete with a jazz-age soundtrack full of emotional depth and some stunning physical performances by the film's stars. Mainstream audiences might be put off by the concept of the film, but the trailer is simply enchanting.

"The Hunger Games" 

Premiering March 23, 2012

It may only be a minute-long teaser trailer, but the first peek at the hotly anticipated "The Hunger Games" does not disappoint. The teaser shows only heroine KatnissEverdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) racing through the woods, encountering some dangerous obstacles and proving her marksmanship with her famous bow and arrow. But she looks good dong it. The teaser should prove to doubters that Lawrence has the chops to play the beloved Katniss and that director Gary Ross is intensely focused on a world that feels real and dangerous, despite its futuristic setting.

"Drive"

Premiering Sept. 16

Given that this film is all about a stunt driver with a seedy side job, the trailer portrays exactly the kind of confusion found in all action thrillers. With a starring cast of Carey Mulligan and Ryan Gosling, it showcases beautiful people in some seriously sticky situations. The trailer also features a brief cameo by Christina Hendricks of "Mad Men" fame, which leaves the audience questioning, where does she even fit into this? The best part of the trailer, however, is a slow motion montage of Gosling kicking some serious butt, set to classical music. 

"Ides of March"

Premiering Oct. 7

In the lead up to the 2012 election, this movie has just enough intrigue to make politics sexy again. Ryan Gosling is a political analyst who is being poached by the enemy because of his talent, but his idealism is what drew him to his candidate in the first place. Oh right, his candidate is none other than the gorgeous George Clooney — who wouldn't want Clooney as president? At the same time the trailer reveals his relationship with an intern from his own camp, played by Evan Rachel Wood. Near the end of the trailer, Gosling betrays Clooney (Et tu Brute?) and a montage of dramatic moments ensues. 

"Footloose"

Premiering Oct. 14

Director Craig Brewer is making a bold move remaking the 1984 Kevin Bacon classic.  "Footloose" follows the story of city boy Ren McCormack, who loves rock and roll, yet moves to a small town that bans the music and all associated dancing.  Very little can ever match up to Bacon's fantastic dance moves, but this remake takes a valiant stab, especially with such a star-studded cast.  Unfortunately, one place where this new movie really misses the beat is in the dancing.  Ren's dance moves seem to be taken right out of "Step Up"—or one of the affiliated sequels—which is not very rock and roll.  Overall, though this remake does not seem to egregiously offend Bacon and his classic movie, it may not be worth the $10 in theatres.

"Like Crazy"

Premiering Oct. 28

No one can blame you if you watch the "Like Crazy" trailer over and over and over. To be honest, it's kind of impossible not to. With the gorgeous and simplistic Ingrid Michaelson cover of "Can't Help Falling in Love" floating in the background, we get glimpses of the naturalistic love story acted out by Felicity Jones and the vastly underrated Anton Yelchin. A hit at Sundance, many college students will surely relate to the complications of the long distance relationship the characters face after graduating from college. Bonus points if you spot KatnissEverdeen herself (Jennifer Lawrence), who is now more famous than both stars.