SMC Soccer: Belles await matchup with MIAA champs

A victory against 2010 MIAA Champion Calvin on Wednesday would mark the first time since 2006 that the Belles won two conference matchups in a row.

The 2010 conference champions, No. 3 Calvin will fight to bring back the glory of last year Wednesday on their home field against the No. 6 Belles. The Knights have yet to beat a non-MIAA opponent this season.

The Belles (6-2, 2-2 MIAA) snapped a two-game losing streak Saturday after junior midfielder Ashley Morfin scored two goals in the second half to lift Saint Mary's to a 2-1 victory over Albion (0-8, 0-4).

Although the Knights (3-5, 3-1) have yet to earn a victory outside of the conference this season, they have nine points in conference play, putting them just three points and one win behind league leaders Alma and Kalamazoo. The Knights also have the second largest goal differential in the league. Their 12-5 margin sits only behind Alma's mark of 17-5.

Calvin shut out Olivet (0-9, 0-5) 3-0 on Saturday. The home win was the third game in five days for the Knights, but fatigue was not an issue for junior midfielder Francesca Smith, who scored two of the team's three goals.

The Belles and Knights will face off on Calvin's home field in Grand Rapids, Mich., at 4 p.m. Wednesday.