A week of happiness

First, a shout out to whoever reads this:

You guys are awesome. By reading this, you're learning a little more about the people behind the bylines of the articles you read (or pretend to read but go straight to the word jumbles. Don't worry. Personally, I give you a gold star for just picking up The Observer).

So if you read inside columns regularly, you've noticed by now that staff members at The Observer tend to approach them differently.

You've got those who focus solely on sports and others who can make you laugh after reading one sentence. Some share memories while others have pledged to never write about themselves. Then there are the select few who love writing controversial columns just to rile you guys up.

Regardless of their style, I respect all of these people immensely. They are some of the most talented people I've ever met and I love getting to learn more about them through their columns.

As for me, I tend to lean toward the "share some of my personal life and then apply it to some message I want to share." Sometimes it's a little cheesy, but hey — even if some people brush it off, someone else might connect with it.

Which brings me to my second point. And if you actually follow through with what I'm about to say, I'll give you two gold stars. Crazy stuff, I know.

So…

What makes you happy?

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens? Gym, Trumpet, Laundry?

My cheat sheet for happiness: photographs, taking Farley for a walk (or basically seeing any dog on campus), running, picking out random flavors of Ben and Jerry's with friends, good conversations and watching reruns of How I Met Your Mother.

I guess my challenge to you this week is to do something that makes you happy, every day if you can.

I don't care if you're busy.

Maybe do something to make a friend's day. Write a letter. Go sticky note crazy on their door. Be fancy and treat them to a quarter dog and Peace Tea.

Or take a lesson from the Scholastic Friend Crush and talk to someone you haven't ever gotten to know well but have always wanted to. I'd like to think that most of the time people will welcome a new friend.

And if you're extremely busy, just check out a new song or feed that squirrel that stares at you when you walk to class. It's really whatever floats your boat.

You've earned one gold star by reading this. Go out and earn another two.

Contact Nicole Toczauer at ntoczaue@nd.edu

The views expressed in the Inside Column are those of the author and not necessarily those of The Observer.