My Asian home at ND

With Asian Allure this Friday, Nov. 4, and Saturday, Nov. 5, I know the chaos of Asian Allure is coming down on everyone participating in the annual cultural show. Even with all the craziness this past week, I couldn't be happier being a part of Asian Allure 2011: Timeless. Coming from a town where Asian diversity is rare, I always grew up as "the Asian." It never bothered me because I didn't think my "Asian-ness" was such a big deal. Sure, my family had many Filipino traditions, but I sparingly invited my friends over for Filipino dinner. I wasn't ashamed of being Filipino, I just didn't think my Filipino ways were interesting enough to fully share with everyone.

Coming to Notre Dame, my first weeks freshman year were a blur, but one unforgettable memory of those couple of weeks was meeting so many Asians. I wasn't used to being surrounded by so many people my age who didn't think eating a large roasted pig (called lechon) was weird or who understood all the little Filipino phrases that my parents continuously spoke at home. Now, one year later, I call my Asian friends my second family, full of "ate's" (big sisters) and "kuya's" (big brothers) and "ading's" (little sister/brother).

That is why I love contributing to Asian Allure. The Asian community has given me so much this past year, and I don't know where I would be without my large ND Asian family. Everyone has worked so hard putting together this year's show, Timeless, and I could not be more proud of them. To our director, "Kuya" Mike: From late nights at LaFun to your constant running all over the place, thank you so much for your leadership. I know this is cliché to say, but this show would not "timeless" without you. To everyone else (from performers to backstage crew to managing to choreographers, etc.): We have a great thing going on here. I know it's been a long road, but the end result is fantastic. Now let's all break a leg (but not literally)!

Trixie Amorado

sophomore

Badin Hall

Nov. 3