College hosts holiday craft show for charity

Saint Mary's Office for Civic and Social Engagement (OSCE) will offer students an opportunity to get away from finals studies for a few hours this Friday when it holds its fifth annual Christmas Craft Show.

The OSCE's 12 Days of Christmas program uses the show to raise money for families and individuals in the South Bend area with holiday gifts and necessities.

According to a Nov. 4 press release, the Reignbeaux and Stapleton lounges will be filled with over 50 booths, including local and regional crafters. Each vendor's booth fee will go to the program, while vendors may choose to donate a portion of their proceeds as well.

Carrie Call, director for OSCE, discussed the impact of the show on local families in the press release.

"We support the community by supporting the local artists, and we support families in need through the 12 Days program," Call said.

Denise Veatch, a staff assistant in the Communications Studies, Dance and Theatre Department, will be showcasing her jewelry for the first time.

Veatch said she began making jewelry for fun around three years ago. Her earrings and bracelets consist of large and small pearls, Swarovski crystals and seed beads. Sets will sell for $25 along with a few individual pieces, she said.

"I put a lot of hard work and love into each piece. It brings me peace and happiness to do this and see someone else enjoy my work," Veatch said.

Junior Kari McClowry plans to be a repeat customer at the show. McClowry said the show is a win-win for students and local families benefitting from the proceeds.

"The craft show enlivens the holiday spirit across campus," she said. "The proceeds bring the holiday spirit to the community in which we reside."

The Christmas Craft Show will run from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Le Mans Hall.