Group appoints new officers

Student Senate approved six students for positions on Student Union Board (SUB) and one student for a position on Judicial Council at its meeting Wednesday.

The group also made the position of student body athletics representative official and discussed the proposed renovations to the first floor of the Hesburgh Library.

Freshman Andrea Romeros will serve as director of finance for SUB. Sophomore Sarah Lattal will be the director of operations.

Sophomore Brittany Backstrand will be the art director.

Juniors Joe Caparros, Jamie Murray and Bradley Schroeder will be the co-directors of programming.

Junior Michael Thomas will serve as president of Judicial Council. Appointed students will assume their positions on April 1.

Jessica Kayongo, associate librarian for Hesburgh Libraries, discussed plans to renovate the first floor study area.

"By graduation we hope to transform the space into something that will attract people to the library — students, faculty, donors," she said.

Kayongo said the room will have a gray and green color scheme. She said it will feature writable surfaces, group seating and a video wall of 56-inch television monitors.

"Most of the time we're probably going to have a non-distracting display on [the monitors], but we want the option for it to be interactive," Kayongo said. "We could bring in people to do lectures, do visualization, whatever we think."

The room will have a section of comfortable seating and another section of traditional, wooden tables for studying, Kayongo said.

She said there will also be booth seating, bean bag chairs and a flat-panel television without sound that can stream news or sports.

"The whole concept of the whole room is that we're experimenting with all the different things that the library could be," she said.

Kayongo said the library staff plans to replace the current light bulbs in the first-floor study area with more efficient ones and will purchase energy-saving television screens. She also said the library plans to eventually be open 24 hours a day.