SMC Tennis: Belles head to Disney for spring break

With Mickey Mouse ears and bathing suits in tow, Saint Mary's is heading to Orlando, Fla. for its annual spring break training trip. The Belles (2-1) will compete in six matches starting March 11 and ending March 15.

"We have gone down to Orlando for the past four years to compete," Belles coach Dale Campbell said. "It has been a great trip in many aspects."

The Belles will be experiencing a different environment during this week of competition.

"We are pretty excited to go to warmer weather and get some sun," Campbell said. "It will be nice to have some outside matches since ours have only been inside so far this year."

On Saturday and Thursday, the Belles will have a day with two matches and the weather will also be a factor in their games.

"I think the heat and humidity and the two-a-days can definitely affect the girls," Campbell said. "But we are in good shape. We have worked hard on our conditioning and worked with the strength training coach putting an emphasis on our legs and agility."

Coming off two convincing victories against Olivet and Indiana Tech, the Belles look to carry momentum into the six matches. Campbell said the team will benefit greatly from the numerous matches in a condensed timeframe.

"Playing this many matches will help us see some trends in our game which we can build off of and improve upon," Campbell said. "A lot of match play will allow this young team to be more comfortable when they come back from break."

Saint Mary's goes with a chip on its shoulder, looking to beat St. Scholastica of Duluth, Minn.

"We have fought hard against them the past two years, but lost both times," Campbell said. "I hope this year it will turn out differently."

The Belles are not looking to make any roster changes in the matches over break, but hope to get all of the players into a few matches.

"We want some of the girls who are not in the top five to see some match play," Campbell said. "It will definitely be valuable to all of us."

The trip will not be an entirely serious one for Saint Mary's, though.

"We will be visiting Cocoa Beach one day and hopefully make it to Disney on another," Campbell said. "This will be a good way for the girls to take a break."

Campbell said he thinks the trip will help build team chemistry.

"I think spending eight days together and just hanging out will improve our team's understanding of each other and our communication," Campbell said. "The improved communication will help us — especially in doubles."

The Belles leave campus Friday and begin matches Saturday in Orlando, Fla.

Contact Isacc Lorton at ilorton@nd.edu