Alumnae discuss working at Google

Saint Mary's students interested in working in digital media learned about the career field and job-seeking process at a presentation by two alumnae Friday.

Google employees Jennifer Bradburn, a 2001 alumna, and Mary Elizabeth Ulliman, a 2010 alumna, spoke to the students about their jobs at the innovative technical company.

Ulliman and Bradburn shared their stories of how they found themselves working at Google. For students entering the workplace in the near future, Bradburn said creativity and patience are two crucial traits to remember.

"Work [at Google] is all about innovation and trying new things," Bradburn said. "There is no such thing as instant perfection."

Ulliman said persistence is key when students are trying to obtain jobs.

"Set yourself apart in the application process and make the employer notice something unique about you," Ulliman said.

The interview remains one of the most important aspects of the application process, Bradburn said, and students should "make sure the employers can tell that you have researched their company and that you are passionate about working there."

Bradburn encouraged Saint Mary's students to be mindful of the future, but to live in and enjoy the present.

"You have a finite amount of time to enjoy here on this beautiful campus," Bradburn said. "Life is a marathon, not a sprint."