Smooth sailing for Stanford, BYU games

Although back-to-back home football games against Stanford and BYU sandwiched a rainy week at Notre Dame, both games were "quite successful" overall, director of Game Day Operations Mike Seamon said.

"From a weather standpoint, the Stanford and BYU games could not have been more different," he said. "The clearing skies followed by dry weather for the [BYU] game made for an almost perfect football Saturday."

Despite the heavy storms that peppered the "epic Notre Dame victory" against Stanford on Oct. 13, Seamon said the weather did not impede the fan experience for that game or the field conditions for the BYU game.

"We were tracking the weather all week, and it became apparent that it was simply going to deteriorate during the course of the [Stanford] game," he said. "It was great to see the fans endure the bad weather and support the team. The Stadium crew, led by Dan Brazo and Robert Thomas, did a phenomenal job getting the field and Stadium in shape for the BYU game following all the rain."

The weekend's pleasant weather drew more than 6,500 fans to the Stadium tunnel Friday, and more than 9,500 people attended the Friday night pep rally in Purcell Pavilion, Seamon said. The majority of students returned from fall break early to attend the game as well, he said.

A week earlier, students kicked off their breaks with a thrilling win over Stanford fueled by the energy of the return of ESPN's College GameDay to Notre Dame for the first time since 2005.

"It was great to see the excitement everyone had for welcoming GameDay back on campus. I thought the students were awesome in promoting the University and supporting our team," Seamon said. "[GameDay's] producers and director were extremely impressed with our students and fans. They get large crowds wherever they visit, but they thought there was something truly unique and special about being at Notre Dame."

Seamon said the high profile of the Stanford game attracted more than 10,000 fans to the Purcell Pavilion pep rally Oct. 12.

Campus and state law enforcement officials were present during both games, but neither ran into significant issues given the large crowds on campus. The number of arrests by Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) and Indiana State Excise Police was also significantly lower during both game weekends than the 72 arrests on 99 charges made during the Michigan game weekend at the end of September.

NDSP chief Phil Johnson said three people were arrested outside the Stadium on Saturday. Two people were apprehended for liquor law violations and one was arrested for a marijuana law violation. NDSP arrested one person for public intoxication inside the Stadium.

Excise Police officers arrested 14 minors on 17 charges while patrolling tailgates outside the Stadium on Saturday, according to a press release. All 14 people, including three 17 years of age, were apprehended for illegal consumption or possession of alcohol. One person was charged with possession of false identification, and one juvenile was arrested for possession of tobacco. Excise officers also arrested on person on an outstanding warrant.

On Oct. 13, NDSP made three arrests outside the Stadium during the Stanford game weekend: two for marijuana law violations and one for intoxication, Johnson said. Three people were arrested for public intoxication inside the Stadium.

According to a press release, Excise Police arrested 11 people for underage drinking during tailgating Oct. 13.

Contact Kristen Durbin at kdurbin@nd.edu