Things to do over Fall Break

Fall break is rapidly approaching, and an entire week of sheer, classless bliss lies just beyond that last midterm. For anyone staying in South Bend for the week, it's the perfect opportunity to leave the familiar path and try out some of the city's less frequented haunts. Let this calendar serve as your guide as you brave the uncharted territory of South Bend's cultural offerings.

Friday, October 12

Get your scream on at the Niles Haunted House Scream Park. Its main feature is a "Maniac Maze" that tests the courage of even the most experienced thrill-seekers. They also have a mile-long haunted hayride and, of course, the all-important Haunted House. 

Saturday, October 13

While this break is the perfect time to get off campus, this is the one day you won't want to leave. Come early for the filming of "College GameDay" with your biggest sign, most outrageous Notre Dame gear and all the spirit you can muster. Then plan on sticking around for tailgating and touchdowns. 

Sunday, October 14

Check out "Peter Pan" at the historic Lerner Theatre in Elkhart. Not only is it a great opportunity to see one of the most charming children's stories come to life, it's also a great opportunity to see the theater at its finest. Make a night of it and head to dinner at 523 Tap & Grill on Main Street in Elkhart before the show. 

Monday, October 15 

We all know South Bend is heavily influenced by the Irish, and it's not just Notre Dame football that's responsible. Celebrate the Irish culture away from the field and check out a Celtic music session at Fiddler's Hearth. Led by Kim Hoffman, the host of WSBN's "The Celtic Hour," this night promises to be a great time full of Irish culture and celebration. 

Tuesday, October 16

Anyone with a passion for art or baseball needs to check out the South Bend Museum of Art and its new exhibit titled "We Are the Ship: the Story of Negro League Baseball." The exhibit explores representations of African-American baseball players through original paintings. The museum also has plenty of permanent galleries and art classes, including landscape painting, jewelry and ceramic instruction. 

Wednesday, October 17

Visit the Potawatomi Zoo for a little animal diversity beyond the fat squirrels seen on campus. The zoo features an Australian walkabout, a Red Panda Forest, a lion exhibit and a monkey exhibit. This is the perfect time to see the animals before it gets too cold in the winter, and it's a surefire way to make you feel like a kid again. 

Thursday, October 18

If you're not feeling Club Fever on the Thursday of fall break, it may be time to give South Bend's hottest jazz club a try. Trio's, located on Michigan St., will play host to the William Cole Quartet as they perform R&B and smooth jazz classics. It might just inspire a whole new classy side you never knew you had. If you're not into jazz in particular, the restaurant is still great for American cuisine with a Cajun twist. 

Friday, October 19

The South Bend Center for History may not seem like the most happening place to be on a Friday night, but Oct. 19, they are putting on something most often seen on sitcoms and reality shows: a murder mystery party. Costumed performers will lead guests around as they try to figure out just who killed Mr. Corpus at his own birthday party. 

As Saturday rolls around, friends will be returning and the campus will spring back to life, but that doesn't mean South Bend's cultural offerings need to fade into the past. Check out sites like inthebend.com and downtownsouthbend.com for events that are going on in the area at any given time. 

Contact Courtney Cox at ccox3@nd.edu