Campus ministry holds silent retreat

While much of campus was wrapped up in game day excitement this weekend, a small group of students took a step out of their daily routine and participated in the Silent Retreat sponsored by Campus Ministry.

The retreat, held from Friday to Sunday in the Moreau Seminary, was intended to help participants develop their relationship with God in the context of quiet prayer and contemplation with the assistance of a "spiritual director," according to the retreat's Campus Ministry website.

"Each attendee will be paired with a spiritual director, a person experienced in ministry and trained to assist you in your personal relationship with God," the website stated. "You will meet once a day with your spiritual director who can help you get the most out of your prayer time during the week."

The retreats differ from the Freshman Retreat and Notre Dame Encounter with their focus on individual contemplation as opposed to group discussion and prayer.

Sophomore Leila Green, one of the retreat participants, said the experience fulfilled the goals she set out with when applying for the retreat. (Editor's Note: Green is a columnist for The Observer.)

"I went on the retreat to give myself a break from stress, and for spiritual reasons," she said. "I gained more peace and a deeper relationship with God."

Given how involved students are between academics, athletics, extracurricular activities and football season festivities, Green said it was a much-welcomed escape from the fast-paced campus life.

"No phones, Internet or talking," she said. "The silence helped with lessening distractions and being able to hear God more clearly."

With the emphasis on communal living across residence halls, she said the solitude was refreshing.

"My favorite part was the privacy," she said. "It's hard to find privacy on this campus."

The retreat is the first of three silent retreats planned for the year. A second, five-day retreat will take place in January, with the third and final weekend retreat occurring in late February.