Keep Calm and Style On

There are very few people in the world who have flawless skin. For those individuals that do, I congratulate you and envy your fabulous gene pools. For the rest of you, who find yourselves dealing with the occasional breakout or worse, follow the steps below and you'll be amazed by the difference in your skin.

Be aware and keep your surfaces clean. 

Most people don't realize how many unclean surfaces their faces are exposed to on any given day. Some of the most common things we handle daily are pillowcases, cell phones, hands, hair, hats and towels, and rarely are these items cleaned as frequently as they should be. In fact, most of the time none of them are clean enough to prevent germs from reaching the face. The key is to stay aware and make an effort to keep everything that your face touches as clean as possible. If you can, try wiping your cell phone off with a damp disinfectant wipe as often as once a day. Additionally, it's a good idea to wipe your phone with a tissue or paper towel after each call you make. Pillowcases should be washed about once a week, and flipped over half way through the week. All other items should go no more than a week without being washed. Most importantly, don't forget to wash your face. Two to three times a day is ideal. Any more washing, and you run the risk of drying your face out and eliminating oils that protect your face from the elements. 

Avoid sleeping on your face. 

Don't do it. Whether your pillow is clean or not - the best way to guarantee a germ-free face is to sleep on your back with your face fully exposed. It's also one of the best ways to sleep in terms of your general health - so that's a plus!

Take showers after you exercise. 

This may seem like an obvious thing to do, but chances are that if you're someone who exercises regularly then you've failed to do this effectively a few times. On occasion, you've probably finished a workout and found other activities to distract you for a few hours before showering. We're all human beings and everyone has their slip-ups, but try to minimize them by taking showers as soon as you finish your workout, or as soon as possible afterwards. When we exercise, we sweat, which advantageously gets rid of various toxins that have gathered in your skin. However, if we don't shower soon after exercising, those same toxins have time to increase and settle back into your skin. Help your skin out, and wash all those germs away. Your complexion will thank you. 

Avoid overexposure to different acne products. 

It's easy to get too experimental when it comes to the overwhelming number of acne treatment products out there. My advice would be to stop and take a look at your own skin. If you're like most college students and just have minor breakouts, then you probably don't need a hardcore or even a mild acne treatment product like Proactive or Differin. Many products have side effects, such as extreme drying of the skin, peeling and skin sensitivity. Furthermore, trying a string of different products can really do a number on healthy skin. Put down the creams and medicated scrubs, and try a simple non-prescription face wash or some plain old soap and water along with these other quick-fix tips. If you still don't see an improvement in your skin, then contact your local dermatologist for a detailed consultation.

In the world of fashion, the body is considered the blank canvas. When blemishes and other impurities cause unwanted problems, one could say that the canvas is been torn or damaged in some way. In layman's terms, an individual's confidence and style can be significantly restricted by how good he or she feels about his or her appearance. Clothes are beautiful and style is a great way to stand out, but to lack confidence in the way you look is the quickest way to lose that standout flare. Don't let breakouts and blemishes bring your style down. Take these tips into account and be fashionably happy - and healthier too.