Walorski touts Hoosier roots, fiscal responsibility

As Republican Congressional hopeful Jackie Walorski eyes Indiana's Second District's seat in the House of Representatives, she said she hopes to bring bipartisanship to a legislature too strongly divided across aisles.

"Congress has a record low approval rating due to partisan gridlock and runaway spending that has resulted in an unproductive Congress," Walorski said. "If I am elected, I will bring Hoosier common sense to Washington."

With the election depending on the votes of Americans without party affiliations, Walorski said in an email interview this week that her team has made a strong effort to appeal to voters who do not self-identify as Republican.

"We have built an incredible grassroots team in the Second District, supported by a wide spectrum of Hoosier voters," she said. "On the campaign trail, we continually hear from voters about their concerns with the direction our country is going. This election is not about political parties, it's about sending an independent voice to Washington to work on bipartisan solutions to get us back on track."

Walorski said she considers the deficit and other economic issues to be of the utmost importance in this year's election.

"I will work to reduce our $16 trillion [national] debt by supporting a balanced budget amendment and reducing government spending," she said. "The federal government must learn to live within its means, just like common sense Hoosiers."

Walorski said she will bring the same fiscal policies that helped Indiana restore its financial health while she served as a state representative from 2004 to 2011.

"We did this in Indiana by working together to balance the budget, reduce wasteful spending and passing pro-business legislation," she said. "Indiana successfully restored our AAA-bond rating, turned a deficit into a surplus and is now considered one of the best Midwest states to start a business.

"I believe we can use this model in Congress to pass meaningful legislation to get our country back on track," she said.

For students at Notre Dame and across the country, Walorski said job growth and employment are the most important issues.

"Many college graduates have difficulty finding a job when they graduate due to our sluggish economy," she said. "With more jobs, college students are able to quickly enter the workforce and begin building their professional careers. It also makes it easier for students to start paying off their loans."

Indiana college students, she said, have been integral to her campaign.

"I'm grateful that our campaign has received support from many local schools and universities, including Notre Dame," she said. "Many students have volunteered to intern, make phone calls, go door-to-door and attend events for our campaign."

Engaging local politics is an important part of being an informed young voter, she said.

"I think it is important for young people to engage themselves with the real issues facing our country," she said. "All voters should learn about the platform of their local candidates and understand how their representation may affect their futures on all issues."