SMC Basketball: Belles surrender lead, fall to Hornets

Despite a strong start to the game, Saint Mary's ultimately fell to Kalamazoo in a close 63-59 contest on Saturday. 

The Belles (5-15, 3-8 MIAA) failed to get the victory, while the Hornets (2-17, 1-10) secured their first league win of the season. 

Halfway through the first half, Saint Mary's went on an 11-0 run and pulled away for the largest lead of the game, a 24-13 advantage, with 6:55 remaining before the intermission. 

Kalamazoo countered that run with a three-pointer, which Saint Mary's freshman guard Maddie Kohler answered with another deep three-pointer. The Belles finished the first half with a 30-27 lead.  

Roughly seven minutes into the second half, the Hornets tied the game at 41. The second half consisted of back-and-forth action between the teams and a tied scoreboard. 

With just over two minutes left in the game, the Belles held a 59-53 lead.

However, the Belles could not finish on any of their last possessions. The Hornets scored the final 10 points of the game to secure the 63-59 victory. 

Freshman forward Eleni Shea recorded season-highs with 16 points and five steals, while fellow freshman forward Krista Knapke poured in 11 points. Kohler also added 11 points and five rebounds off the bench. 

The Belles turn their focus to their next opponent, Trine, whom they defeated 59-43 on Jan. 9.

Saint Mary's takes on the Thunder on Wednesday at 6 p.m. at Hershey Hall in Angola, Ind