Pope-Davis to leave ND

Notre Dame's vice president and associate provost Don Pope-Davis will leave the University in July to serve as provost at DePaul University, according to a Wednesday press release. Pope-Davis was elected to his current position in 2007 and worked closely with undergraduate scholarship and research throughout his tenure, the release stated. He is the second Notre Dame vice president and associate provost to leave the University in the past two years to accept a position as chief academic officer at another Catholic university.

"From his research accomplishments to faculty support, diversity initiatives, leadership in graduate education and athletics, and resolute commitment to Notre Dame's Catholic mission, Don has made significant contributions to the life of our University over the past 13 years," Notre Dame provost Thomas G. Burish said in the press release. "I am immensely grateful to him and know that he will serve DePaul well as its chief academic officer."

Pope-Davis also serves as a professor of psychology and oversees the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and the Office of Student Financial Services. He implemented the Undergraduate Academic Code of Honor and is involved with the University's ROTC programs, the Center for Undergraduate Scholarly Engagement, the Hesburgh-Yusko Scholars Program, the Office of Disability Services, DeBartolo Performing Arts Center, the Snite Museum of Art, First Year of Studies, the Institute for Church Lif, and the Center for Social Concerns, the release stated.

Pope-Davis headed the Provost's Office's efforts to address various faculty concerns.Before his election as vice president, he spent five years leading the Graduate School. He was assistant vice president from 2002 to 2004, associate vice president from 2005 to 2007 and interim dean of the Graduate School for one year.

During his time at Notre Dame, Pope-Davis coordinated the Multicultural Research Institute, directed the TRIO programs to mobilize students from disadvantaged backgrounds and led the Moreau Academic Diversity Postdoctoral Fellowship Program. He chaired Notre Dame's Faculty Board on Athletics for three years and served as its NCAA faculty athletics representative.iHis specific interests lie in the development of cultural and racial identities, cultural competency training, development and assessment.

Pope-Davis earned his doctorate in counseling psychology from Stanford University and holds a bachelor's degree in psychology and theology from Benedictine University in Lisle, Ill.